Anyone who knows my mother, don't worry. I have already addressed her about the stress she is causing me. On Sunday my stress level reached an all time high, and I realized it wasn't my fault, but my mother's! I was trying to sew Easter outfits for my 2 children, and I realized then and finally came out with it in the open, (although, I have known subconsciously for a long time) I hate sewing, but I do it on the fact that I loved my mother sewing for me. I have the fondest memories of wanted to go to a church dance and decided 2 hours before that I wanted a new skirt. Two hours later I was always on my way to the church dance with a new skirt. I really can't express how much I loved my mother's sewing abilities and all the things she has made me.
Now here I am wanting to give my children the same joy I had in my youth, so I turned to what I loved and am trying to do that for my children. The truth is I am a terrible seamstress and sewing just causes me a lot of stress. For example I made Helaman a little Easter jacket. I found the cutest pattern at the DI which was made in 1969. I unpicked the collar 10 times, cut out 2 different pieces because I messed up, and the jacket now has no collar. Cariña's dress I had to redo the zipper, the hem around the waist, recut the sleeve, and the lining, unpick the sew-on facing several times. I don't know why I get myself into these projects, but actually I do. It is like I said I want to give my children what my mother gave me and I just can't do it!! :) So we will see about next Easter. I just might have to finish these project or give up for good. :) Pictures are to come once I finish the detailed work like the buttons, and shorts, etc, and as soon as I can find someone to put them on a cd so I can download them to my computer.
ps You know I love you mom.
9 comments:
I always admired your mom's sewing skills too. I think she made one of my prom dresses. Alas, in reality, my sewing skills are only good enough to raise a hem... But, Eileen, it's okay to be like the rest of us who will never be able to sew their daughter's wedding dress. (Sorry to hear about the stress -- totally understand, though).
I easily stress out while sewing too. I'm way too much of a perfectionist, and that does get in the way. However, becoming a Mom has helped calm my perfectionism down quite a bit. I enjoyed sewing when Kate was a baby/toddler, but I lost my sewing room when James came along. The poor kid hasn't worn anything hand-made with love from his Mommy, and Bruce probably won't either until we get a house with an extra room for my sewing machine. One can dream, right?
At least you know about the concept of sewing - you saw me try to sew that skirt together! I need to fix that up, the hem started to come out... You're awesome!
Don't worry Eileen, if your sewing skills really stink that badly then your kids won't even want you to sew for them!
Maybe you should just buy them cute outfits at DI and say you made them...
i admit i didn't read the whole post, but i did skim and get the jist of it. now try being the daughter-in-law of a woman like that, not to mention the spouse of yet another adoring child! try what i do...DON'T TRY (just kidding).
Thank you for saying it. It seems wrong not to like all things domestic, and I feel guilt over it sometimes, but you know what? I am free to tell the truth now.
And the truth is, I want to hire a cook, or eat out five days a week. (I know, I'd probably get sick of it.....)
Eileen....
I am off work and have time to sit down and read your blog. I love it. Your kids are so cute. I saw the pictures of them in their purple outfits. Those purple outfits are amazing. I wish you guys could have been here. You guys would have made the pictures look awesome. And it was hilarious when my dad pulled out Carina and Helaman. It made me smile. And like your blog says, your mother is an amazing seamstress. Love ya and hope you are doing well.
I am so excited to meet him! He is super cute, and Merrick has that exact sweater vest!
Post a Comment