Sunday, January 17, 2010

I couldn't resist

I have very different ideas about health. I learned that if I want friends I usually have to keep my ideas on the back of conversations. I have tried to promote them, but I usually end up losing friends when I do. Like when I was back in college and this guy, who I discovered later was interested in me, became very uninterested in me when he found out my health ideas. It was actually a very good thing I shared him my ideas because I was NOT interested. It saved everyone some pride. :) So I have given up and settled on just trying to keep my health goals to myself. But one of my big ideas is cereal. I really don't think cereal is very healthy, regardless if it is organic or not. I have seen some cereals that seem okay, but for two reasons I don't get them. The first is for MY family I don't think cereal should be an everyday breakfast, eggs are much better, and second, I don't have the money to shell out on these select, very expensive few brands of cereal that seem okay. But this past week I really couldn't resist. At the grocery store they had a coupon that if you 5 boxes of quaker brand cereal then each box was $1. It was 6pm, I was hungry, my family was hungry and we all felt a little indulgent, so got the five boxes. Four of the boxes I tried to find the one with the least amount of ingredients, with the least amount of sugar, and the ones that seemed the least processed. But the last box I have no excuse of buying except that it reminded me of my childhood dreams. We rarely got to eat this and was always a special treat. So for one dollar I did it. I bought Captain Crunch.


I had my two bowls of memories. Was it good? The first bowl brought back all those wonderful special treat memories, but the second bowl reminded that there really isn't much real sustaining food in it. It always seems to taste better back when I was a kid. Now that I have had those two bowls I have no desire to eat more, but I am now also stuck with this huge box of crap that if my children ever see the box they are going to want some. :) I don't know what to do. I don't want to eat more. I don't want my children or husband to eat any, but if I throw it away it is like throwing away .95 cents. :) What should I do? :)

ps Please don' t hate me if you eat cereal everyday because I don't care, and especially please don't hate me if you eat Captain Crunch everyday because if you think it is okay by all means eat it. :)

9 comments:

Sally said...

You're going to eat the whole thing. I know it. And then hate yourself. And then call me and tell me all about it.

Sandra said...

You should sell it to Danny or Benjamin. They'll give you a buck for it.

Rachel said...

I vote for let the rest of the family eat it. Then it will be gone before you know it and you'll never have to buy it again...until nostalgia hits again.

Flops said...

I vote you let your kids have some treats and that way you would be giving your children some childhood memories.

Julie said...

Captian Crunch with berries has the same effect on me. I go back to my longing years as a kid for Captian Crunch. And the times I have bought it....because of the great price....I regret it. So we now only buy that crap and the kids get it from Santa once a year. Its a fun tradition....my advice is to throw it out! Good luck though.

JS said...

i love cereal, but sugar cereal for my family was honey nut cherrios.

I hate Captain Crunch... it cuts up the roof of my mouth.

I say let them finish it... then when they are old they can say, remember that one time. ?

tiff said...

I have fond memories of Captain Crunch too--Crunchberry variety. We ate cereal a lot growing up, but it was always the boring, healthier, cheaper, bagged stuff. So BOXED cereal was a thrill.

I hate it, though, when you try to relive childhood through a food memory, and it just kicks you in the pants. Things always taste worse to me now than as a kid.

Shari said...

I just feel grateful for James' allergies so that I'm never tempted to buy those cereals. There is nothing down the regular cereal isle that we can buy. Even Rice Crispies, Cheerios, bran flakes, and single pack original oatmeal have corn in them (can you believe it?). I admit, though, we do buy some cereal in the organic section, but we usually stick with Jon's homemade granola!

Rachel said...

I probably eat a box or two of cereal a week. That's all I ate when I was in college (along with Top Romen). Next time you have the urge, I highly recommend Cocoa Pebbles or Golden Grahams.
JAS