Sunday, July 4, 2010

4 days, $500, 360 miles later. . .

And we are still in the same place.  This move has not gone smoothly.  We seem to have trouble after trouble.  We took our over loaded trailer to my sister's house 64 miles south.  At my sister's house we had to reload and down size.  We decided to ship all our media through the mail, and redistributed the weight to our trailer.  This added an extra day onto our trip.  So the next morning we left once again on our adventure to  our new life and made it about 120 miles south.  About 3 miles out side of the city the tire  shreds and pops.  Amazing people came to help took Sam into town to find a tire shop.  The place was so busy that Sam had to do all the work.  He put on another tire and it too also started to shred.  The tire  place finally was able to rig the trailer to drive into town.  So we had to call a trailer fix it guy who came but it was going to take forever.  So we had to drive another 50 miles south to rent a hotel room to find a cheaper hotel room because Moab on the 4th of July was running $125 a night.   In the morning we drove back to moab to gather our trailer and realized that it is just too heavy for the small tires.  So we drove carefully back (45mph) to my sister's house to downsize once again and figure out how to get our stuff to Dallas.  It seems that we either are destined to stay in Utah, or have no belongings. :)  Oh what a trip and it is just barely starting.

ps if you are ever going to break down do it around Moab.  The people there are so nice and helpful.

5 comments:

Heather said...

I'm so sorry Eileen. I hope the travel starts working better.

Lorenaiscool said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sally said...

I was feeling really sorry for you and feeling really blessed that I didn't have anything upsetting going on and then Grant's clutch went out. Another summer $1000 in car repairs. Teaches me to be so smug.

Shari said...

Oh, how painful! I'm sorry you had so much trouble. It kind of reminds me of the move Jon and I did to Boston the first summer after we were married. That's a long story.

JS said...

Oh no. I am so sad! That is not fun...