BYU’s women’s team was the main reason for their success, as they came away with 8 gold medals at the event on the way to their eighth women’s team title. Tawnya Woodbury, Marci Mangelson, Eileen Sanchez led the Cougars, and Karin Christiansen each with two gold medals. Paige Harris also earned a gold medal in women’s No. 2 singles.
I love racquetball. I think I even love it more because I was recruited and picked up on it so easily.
The other day I went up to BYU to play one evening and there were a couple of girls who obviously were on the racquetball team. I was desperate to play with someone and finally asked if they would play. Not something I normally do, but it is amazing what some people do in desperate circumstances. (Here comes my jealous, competitive talk.) They were alright, obviously better than most girls, but nothing fantastic. But they they had two things I didn't. One, they have been playing in game situations recently, and two, they have all the different shots fresh in their heads. Three, since they play so frequently their swing was in tune. I don't have either of these things at this point. I think the last game I was in was Nationals 2003, and therefore have not thought about the different shots in about that long as well. Since I haven't played in so long my swing is very rusty. Anyway my point is that despite all of these disadvantages I still had the potential of being better than them, especially after I started warming up.
After the game I asked them a couple of questions about the team and who the coaches were. They in turn asked me a couple of questions about my self and saw my interest. They said in a somewhat looking down tone "Well why don't you play, your good enough." The your good enough was somewhat forced out. I could be exaggerating since I do get jealous, but I can't help it. So rather than be happy for them, I just think they, think they are better than everyone and are snobs. :) I do need to work on that. :) So here is what I thought of when they told me I was good enough, "of course I am good enough, do see the last time nationals was won, I was on that team. Where is your national champion year." Of course I didn't say anything , but I guess I just need to accept that my glory years have come to a close, and now I am older, fatter, and more out of shape and it is okay for other to be as good, and more often than I like to admit, better than me.
Please don't think less of me for thoughts. I just had to let them out in effort of improving myself by admitting that I am jealous, and competitive when it comes to sports. Isn't the first step to improving yourself, admitting you have faults. So there is my confession.
The other day I went up to BYU to play one evening and there were a couple of girls who obviously were on the racquetball team. I was desperate to play with someone and finally asked if they would play. Not something I normally do, but it is amazing what some people do in desperate circumstances. (Here comes my jealous, competitive talk.) They were alright, obviously better than most girls, but nothing fantastic. But they they had two things I didn't. One, they have been playing in game situations recently, and two, they have all the different shots fresh in their heads. Three, since they play so frequently their swing was in tune. I don't have either of these things at this point. I think the last game I was in was Nationals 2003, and therefore have not thought about the different shots in about that long as well. Since I haven't played in so long my swing is very rusty. Anyway my point is that despite all of these disadvantages I still had the potential of being better than them, especially after I started warming up.
After the game I asked them a couple of questions about the team and who the coaches were. They in turn asked me a couple of questions about my self and saw my interest. They said in a somewhat looking down tone "Well why don't you play, your good enough." The your good enough was somewhat forced out. I could be exaggerating since I do get jealous, but I can't help it. So rather than be happy for them, I just think they, think they are better than everyone and are snobs. :) I do need to work on that. :) So here is what I thought of when they told me I was good enough, "of course I am good enough, do see the last time nationals was won, I was on that team. Where is your national champion year." Of course I didn't say anything , but I guess I just need to accept that my glory years have come to a close, and now I am older, fatter, and more out of shape and it is okay for other to be as good, and more often than I like to admit, better than me.
Please don't think less of me for thoughts. I just had to let them out in effort of improving myself by admitting that I am jealous, and competitive when it comes to sports. Isn't the first step to improving yourself, admitting you have faults. So there is my confession.
2 comments:
I've always been jealous of you and your sporting abilities. Don't you remember YEARS ago when we were on vacation at Grandma's house playing basketball and I slapped you on the back because you stole the ball from me. That slap was my jealous feeling coming out. Do you also remember Dad saw the whole thing and made me go inside for a time out. If this makes you feel any better you will ALWAYS and FOREVER be better at sports than me.
If you want to feel good about yourself you can play a game with me.
Post a Comment