My husband has a specific quality which is both noble and annoying. When Sam has a job he needs or wants to finish he will not eat. He does this because he loves to eat and to him eating is a reward and rewards don't come until after the work is all done. (That was the noble part, this in the annoying part.) Work by definition, to Sam, is any job including doing anything. For example, Sam got a new stereo and was installing into our car. He didn't eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner until probably 10pm because he was working and couldn't get his reward/eating until he completed his job. I guess this is funny to me, because it seems that he is punishing himself by not eating for a reward he has already given himself, the car stereo. It is really annoying because I am always making him a meal and he never eats it. I call him in for dinner and he will say prayers with us, but will then go back out to work. It really makes more work for me because when he does this he won't eat with us and I have to do the extra work make him his own meals at different times than with the rest of the family, then I have to do the extra work of saving it and cleaning up later, rather than doing it once with the rest of the family.
This talent seems more amazing on the fact that anybody who truly knows Sam, knows he loves food and can really pack away the food, especially at buffets. His buffet eating is also another talent that is truly a sight to see. I once saw Sam eat a HUGE Thanksgiving dinner than after his meal he moved to the deserts. He tried all the different cakes and cookies and finally settled on eating SIX slices of cheesecake.
Luckily he doesn't do this too often. His work was always left at work, and his at home projects were spaced out. So Sam has always been able to maintain his weight. He gets a little heavy then gets a project and loses it. But not recently. Since Sam has started school he is soo busy. He started a student job that some how seems to be about 50hrs a week. (Who has heard of a student job that has to pay over time. ) Then he always needs to run off to class. So basically Sam eats one meal a day around 8pm or later. His food consumption at work and school I am not sure of, but I usually send him to school with some lunch and he somehow always brings it home. He is not use to HAVING to set time aside to eat because before there was always an end to he long hours.But not anymore so he hasn't been giving himself time to eat. What a weirdo. I say that in the most loving way because he is not doing this for himself, but for us, but also who doesn't set time aside to eat, Please let me know.
Sam is now thin. At first I thought he was eating a little less, but also getting more exercise since he has to walk all over the BYU campus, but now I know he is starving himself, not on purpose, but as stated earlier in the post, Sam is just not eating until his work is completed. Sam has always had a thicker body frame, but he was never really fat, but now I really can't believe how thin Sam is now. I am sure he has lost at least 15lbs in this past month. Maybe not that much. The walking could have also trimmed him up too.
I can't decide what to think. :) I don't know whether to think he looks fantastic, or if I miss my old thick Sam.
4 comments:
Well, I can't wait to see the new Sam! I'm so excited to come and see you. It seems you are starved for adult interaction. I hope I can be some sort of diversion for you. =)
Sam is impossibly difficult to understand.
I am actually a lot like Sam when it comes to getting obsessed with something and forgetting to eat. I lose a lot of weight that way especially during moves, which we have done a lot too! I read your blog a while ago, but you haven't written too much!! Get some pictures up of those cute cute kids. Are you loving Provo, UT yet? ;)
Wha.... I cannot fathom skipping meals that much. I like eating too, but I guess I'm missing the self-discipline part he seems to have.
Post a Comment