Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Boy what a trip!

This past weekend Sam and I took a last minute trip home to Oregon, again! The first time I was able to spend 2 weeks there, but since my job, I don't have the luxury of vacation time anymore. It has been hard to accept. It was so nice to go home and see my sister that I haven't seen in 2 years. The only problem with a weekend trip, is that you are always on the go. The trip down was pretty uneventful and the kids were ready to party, but on the way back was a completely different story. Poor little Helaman got so car sick. From the first picture you can see the happy little Helaman, with that big smile. But that smile was all gone on the trip.It started about an hour and a half into the trip and continued until we got home. Poor kid. The picture explains his misery.

When we got home we had to wash his car seat, any t-shirt that wasn't being worn, and all the blankets that were used in the car to catch the throw-up. Let's just say we had to stop on the road several more times than usual to clean him up and change his clothes.

Then to top it all off we we arrived at home and came into the house, there was this awful stench. I finally found the source which was a big bag of potatoes that spoiled in a plastic bag. The bag was filled with nasty fermented potato liquid. Just thinking about it makes my stomach turn. Luckily the bag didn't leak, and I was able to throw it away, but he box it was sitting in smelled and that too had to be thrown away. The smell lasted two days afterward. URG! It is gone now and no more potatoes until the winter and when there will be no traveling!!!

7 comments:

KrysJo said...

I always know when you are going to post something because you come visit us at our apartment!!! Sorry you had a sad car ride home. I actually found some red potatoes from a farmers market last fall! they also were liquified but they ruined the shelf in our cupboard.. sad life! (aren't you happy I commented!!!)

Sandra said...

Wow, looks like helamen is not a fan of car trips. It's funny how the first picture he still kinda looks like a baby in the onsie but the next picture he looks much older and worn out. Poor Garcias

Jeff and Michelle and Aliyah said...

What a trip! That reminds me of one of our car trips. We all got car sick, one by one. The car stunk and every hotel we stayed at ended up stinking too (not from potatoes though)! Not fun at the time, but funny now. We're excited to see you and are looking forward to a picnic with you at the reunion this week! (sorry it we didn't get one down in provo)

tiff said...

Oh my. I HATE the smell of rotting potatoes. It's the only vegetable in the world that smells like poo when it starts decomposing. We once had a bag in our storage room doing that, but it took me a couple of days to figure out. I kept walking through the boys' room and the nearby bathroom (all next to the storage room) trying to find a poopy diaper that I must have forgotten to throw away.

Shari said...

We forgot about some small red potatoes we had in the bottom of our microwave cart. We found them after they had sprouted, rotted, then dried. The best part, though, was how the potato juice was like acid and burned through the first layer of the "wood".

The Super Sanchez Family said...

poor dude, and i hear there has been even more sickness since. hope all is well and we miss you guys too.

Kristie said...

Poor baby! I can totally relate. One day he'll always want to drive so he can avoid getting sick. That's what I do! And p.s., feel free to leave comments on my blog too! :-)